Very Large scale wgs 84 electronic charts
Obtaining the charts
Please read the Conditions below very carefully—this really is important as our charts are unlike professionally produced charts. Click on the statement at the bottom to indicate you agree with the conditions and this will take you through the ordering process. (If you wish to print the Conditions tap here)
Antares Charts is run by unqualified enthusiasts and while we charge enough to cover the costs of sharing the charts with you we still regard it as a hobby and a ’team effort’ involving all our subscribers. We really would appreciate your feedback: full contact details for this and for support will come with the charts.
Our charts run seamlessly with UKHO charts in navigating software/apps such as Memory-Map and SeaClear. You may wish to acquire these very inexpensive packages at the same time, which you do through the businesses providing the software/apps.
You are reminded that you may only acquire charts for you own use (Condition 3 below). We regret that we are no longer able to run a Gift Voucher scheme for those who would have liked to give them to friends.
conditions to be satisfied before the charts may be acquired and that remain in force at all times while they are in your possession. With apologies to our Scottish friends we have to tell you that they are subject to and governed by English law. (version 25Nov2011: the most recent conditions always apply)
These charts show what we, as unqualified enthusiasts, found in each location. We are happy to share them with you but clearly you should not use them for navigation as there is no guarantee we found all the hazards that are there to be found. We suggest you may wish to monitor your progress on our charts but you MUST navigate exclusively using ‘official’ charts, pilot books and other conventional means. All feedback would be greatly welcomed, especially if you find hazards we missed.
So, for the formal bit:
1. You confirm that you will not rely on these charts or related information for navigational purposes.
2. You accept that the preparers of the charts and accompanying information do not make any representations, express or implied, with regard to the accuracy of any of the information supplied, and agree that:
A anything you do with THE CHARTS and accompanying information you do entirely AT your OWN RISK;
B THE PREPARERS SHALL NOT HAVE ANY LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY OR LIABILITY FOR ANY ERRORS OR OMISSIONS THAT MAY HAVE BEEN MADE IN THE CHARTS OR INFORMATION, OR FOR ANY USE MADE OF THE CHARTS OR ANY OTHER INFORMATION, HOWEVER ARISING;
C YOU UNDERTAKE AND WILL ENSURE THAT YOUR INSURERS, CREW AND CONNECTED PARTIES ARE BOUND BY THESE PROVISIONS; AND TO THE EXTENT THAT IT MAY BE DETERMINED THAT THESE TERMS DO NOT APPLY TO THEM, YOU WILL TAKE FULL RESPONSIBILITY.
3. The charts remain the property of the preparers who are happy to share them with experienced navigators but only on the basis of these conditions. You agree that you will not copy or otherwise transmit the charts or other material to any other person and that they will be accessed only by you and those on the same boat. You understand that this is partly to protect copyright but also so that the preparers are able to communicate directly with all users.
For your own protection we thought we should spell out a few important points. Please read, digest and think very carefully about them before proceeding:
1. You should not seek to acquire these charts unless you are a highly competent and experienced navigator: they and their use are potentially dangerous.
2. When navigating in any of the areas covered by these charts you and your crew have opted to navigate in a challenging location that is subject to numerous hazards: you must do so in the spirit of exploration and adventure, recognising that, quite possibly, no chart or pilot book is well tried and tested in these locations. You must therefore navigate with great caution and careful observation at all times, so as to avoid damage or injury.
3. No chart can ever be perfect and there is no guarantee that these are. These charts were made by unqualified enthusiasts and not professional surveyors so they are more likely than official charts to contain errors (see ‘Making the Charts’). It is important that you recognise that anything you do with these charts you do at your own risk.
4. As a competent navigator you will recognise that ALL charts and GPS systems are subject to error and that errors can compound. Tidal predictions are no more than that and actual sea levels may differ materially from predictions. The set-up of chart plotters requires careful selection of the correct geodetic parameters. GPS / plotter systems involve delays so that the position shown on the screen may lag the boat’s actual position. You must not expect more from these information sources and systems than is realistic and must always check your positions and depths carefully on each occasion before entering the most difficult locations.
5. Using charts of this scale in an electronic plotter in close proximity to numerous hazards and with fast tidal streams is a very real skill that has to be acquired; you must not assume that because you are familiar with normal-scale electronic charts you can use these (see ‘Using the Charts’).
6. Given all of the above We do not consent to your use of these charts for navigation, which includes the planning of navigation, and if you acquire them it is on this basis. You should continue to navigate in the conventional way, using pilot books, ‘official’ charts, and other traditional means, whilst, if you wish, monitoring your position on our charts. At some stage you may feel our charts are helpful and sufficiently reliable for your particular needs and that you have acquired the skills to use them; but if you do use them it is entirely your decision and at your risk having gained experience of the charts and remembering that each chart is different.
NOTE: This website and material obtained from it are the copyright of Antares Charts © and may not be reproduced in whole or in part without express consent; use of all such material is subject to the disclaimers and conditions posted on this website and which may be changed at any time. .
GUIDES & HELP